20 May 2014
Teachers, parents, students and schools are bracing themselves for the worst after Tony Abbott announced a $30 billion cut to education in last week's Budget.
Today Deputy Leader of the Opposition, Tanya Plibersek, and Shadow Minister for Education, Kate Ellis, visited Sturt St Community School in Adelaide to talk to students.
"These young students are the ones that will be hit hard by the Abbott Government's biggest ever cut to education," Tanya Plibersek said.
"Tony Abbott and his ministers have tried to play down the effects of the cut, saying it won't hit schools until 2017, but this is simply wrong".
"Schools need certainty in their funding for planning, for investing in teachers and for growing their school community."
State Premiers met on Sunday with the same demand Australian schools have - reverse this $30 billion cut.
"Premiers know our schools won't be able to sustain this massive cut, that it will absolutely devastate them," Kate Ellis said.
When Tony Abbott promised to be on an "absolute unity ticket" with Labor on school funding, he told schools his change of mind was to "end the uncertainty".
"All we've seen from this Government when it comes to education is lies, backflips and cuts - this is hardly the certainty promised to schools," Kate Ellis said.
Queensland Premier Campbell Newman said there's no such thing as a cut in three years. He said the ratings agencies will be asking State Premiers where the funding will come from now, and they don't have an answer.
"The only answer is for Tony Abbott to reverse this cut and resolve the huge problem he has caused with his deceit," Tanya Plibersek said.